There really are so many options when it comes to the best healthy snacks for fat loss and general health and well being. The challenge for most though is generally the preparation or the belief that healthy is more expensive. Not true if you shop smartly and prepare in advance. Below is a great list of foods that can help your goals and give you stable energy throughout the day.
1) Blueberries are filled with antioxidants and phytonutrients, which have anti-cancer properties. This lovely purple fruit is both a healthy and flavourful snack food. Add them to natural or Greek plain yogurt as an alternative to the over sugared or over processed varieties. Mix them with some nut and/or seeds, for a high protein, good carbs, and low fat snack.
The frozen varieties are fine to snack on as well. Other alternatives to blueberries, are strawberries, raspberries, cherries and blackberries which also have the same nutritional benefits:
2) Any fruit for that matter is are the best healthy snacks available when eating healthy; however make sure you control your fruit intake to a few (2-3) pieces per day if your goal is fat loss. But an apple for example, simply washed and tossed into your purse or a back pack for your convenience with some nuts become a no excuses is a perfect snack.
Have fruit instead of fruit juice, as the raw fruit will contain more of it nutrients and fibre. A medium size apple is only 80 calories and is a good source of vitamins, minerals and fibre. Just think that you would have to eat about 4-5 apples to make up the calories of a chocolate bar, but what do you think would fill you up more?
3) Let’s not forget vegetables. Almost any vegetable can be cut and eaten raw. One of the quickest, easiest and still healthy dips is low fat cottage cheese mixed with diced green onions or chives. Organise a buffet tray of celery, carrots and sugar snap peas and even the pickiest eaters will snack away.
Don’t throw away the stalks of broccoli either as they also make great dipping treats and a much healthier alternative to all the crackers on the market.
4) As mentioned already a small handful of nuts such as almonds is another healthy snack and may keep you from overeating later in the day. They are packed with protein and good natural fats.
All nuts are fine, but be aware of portion sizes because they are still loaded with calories. Even though they are good ones, keep it to a handful as you don’t want to go over your fat quota with just one snack. An alternative to nuts is natural peanut butter. Two tablespoons of peanut butter make for a delicious dip for sliced apples.
5) A truly decadent healthy snack idea is a frozen banana. Use dark chocolate for the antioxidant benefits, but be aware that this is not the lowest calorie snack idea, so keep your serving size to one at a time. Slice the banana in half, insert a skewer and then dip into the melted dark chocolate. Then dip into some chopped up almonds. Place in the freezer for at least an hour and then enjoy.
You know almost all fruits can actually be frozen to make cooled snacks throughout the day and keep your sanity levels at bay.
6) Take a thinly sliced turkey, chicken or beef and make a wrap, by using a whole grain wrap and layer the lean meat with spinach, tomato and teaspoon of wholegrain mustard. Roll it and slice on a diagonal. Yes, even though it sounds like a meal it’s also perfect as a snack. Of course you can use it as a main meal as well when you’re on the go.
7) Lastly, liquid meals or shakes. They include a good balance of protein, carbs and fat. Don’t just opt for plain whey protein only shakes, as they don’t contain all the nutrients required for a proper meal/snack. Make sure you add in healthy carbs (i.e. fruits/veg) and some fats like flaxseeds or natural peanut butter.
I recommend you invest in a quality shake replacement mix. Much the same as quality foods can seem expensive, cheap proteins doesn’t necessary mean quality, and very little protein powders in the market get tested by the regulators these days.
There you have some ideas of the best healthy snacks for weight loss. Healthy doesn’t mean nothing but cardboard tasting food. Make sure you keep your snacks on the smaller side, and include 2-3 of those snack meals each day in between your 2-3 main meals. It will boost your metabolism, give you more energy and help you achieve amazing results long term.
Get Really Really Fit For Free
✓ Discover How to Overcome the 4 Simple Reasons People Struggle to Lose Weight.
✓ Start the 6 Week Really Really Fit Mindset Training Program (Video Training Included).
✓ Lose Your First 10kg With a Simple Weight Loss and Exercise Plan!
I'll Cut the Crap So You'll Lose The Fat - No Spam, No Fad Diets, No B.S!